Thursday, February 21, 2013

Vegan Chili





So I just started using the crockpot that my mother bought for me this past Christmas. I asked her to buy me a crockpot because I had heard so many great things about it, mainly the fact that you can throw a bunch of ingredients in, then set it and forget it. So far I have only made 2 recipes that I found online, and I have a feeling that there will be many more to come. Here is the recipe to my vegan chili, I tweaked the ingredients a bit to add some more SPICE!

Ingredients:
(serves 8-10 people)

2 cups dry beans ( I bought mixed beans to make it nice and colorful)
2 chopped jalapenos (remove seeds if you don’t want it spicy, but keep the seeds if you do! Its a great natural metabolism booster!)
3 bell peppers
3 sweet potatoes
1 28oz. can peeled whole tomatoes
1 diced onion
3 minced garlic cloves
2 tbsp.chili powder
1 tsp.paprika
1 tsp. salt
2 cups water
1 cup orange juice
Toppings:
1/2 avocado
1/2 onion
a bunch of chopped cilantro
shredded Daiya vegan cheese

Prep:
The day before, take your dry beans and soak them in water overnight.
The day of, take all the ingredients and combine them in the crockpot. Make sure that you have at least 7-8 hours before your meal to make sure the beans and all the veggies are fully cooked. When you are ready to serve, prep your toppings. If you are serving for company, put the toppings on another dish to self-serve. If you’re a spice-lover like me, its never a bad idea to keep some hot sauce at the table too for an extra kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment